Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Hot cocoa

Well, winter has finally hit Chicago, and for Lee that means one thing: hot chocolate (I'm more of a coffee drinker, myself).

There are a few varieties of hot chocolate mix around our place, most with spices of some sort. But once Lee fought his way through the blustery cold, he was in the mood for a classic, rich drink.

Here's what I cobbled together from ingredients on hand. It came out pretty well, I'd say.

Hot Cocoa for Lee
2 tablespoons of sweetened cocoa powder (like Ghiradelli's)
1 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup of whole milk
1 cup of skim milk

Heat the milk in a small pot and whisk in the cocoa powder once things warm up. That's it.

The two types of milk are probably not necessary: mostly, I used the whole milk to bolster the richness--skim would not have worked with the bittersweet chocolate. The mix of cocoas is the crucial detail here. The result: a perfectly grown-up, perfectly classic hot cocoa.

I even had a couple of sips.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home