Monday, April 14, 2008

TWD: Marshmallows




Lee and I have joined an online baking club, where we'll be cooking our way through Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. This week's recipe, chosen by Judy's Gross Eats, was for marshmallows.

It's very interesting to join a club like this: the recipes are chosen by a different club member each week, and it's liberating to have someone else select which recipe we have to try. I've been wanting to practice my baking skills more, and this is a great way to do it. 

I'll confess that I don't know if I ever would have made homemade marshmallows if not for this TWD challenge (although Lee has been curious about them; he's more of the candy guy around here), and I certainly wouldn't have tried them in April, where (in Tucson) hot chocolate season is over. But I'm definitely glad I did; it was good candy practice and we had pretty successful results.

Lee, as I mentioned, is the main candy maker around here, and he is the one who made these; I just helped. But since he's out of town, I'll write on our behalf.

The recipe was pretty simple: basically, a meringue with gelatin and flavoring. We whipped some egg whites and added the sugar syrup and gelatin. At this point, they smelled disgusting, slightly meaty (gelatin). But with addition of our homemade vanilla, voila! The mixture was transformed into the sweet-smelling marshmallows we know and love.

Next, we poured them into a lined, cornstarch-dusted baking sheet and let them rest for three hours. Getting them out was definitely the trickiest part. They looked like perfect little marshmallows on the top, but the undersides were a little chewed up from being scraped from the pan. Also, our pan might have been a bit too large, because they looked more like little duvets than little pillows. 

But they tasted like fresh, melt-in-your mouth vanilla marshmallows. I think we'll be making this again, with a few adjustments to the lining method/pan size, come winter.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Mari said...

I'd sample your fluffy duvets, any ol' time! Well done, both of you!

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I was wondering at myself for making hot chocolate on a sunny day in the middle of April, but what else was I going to do with a bunch of marshmallows?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

After we made the marshmallows, I melted 10 oz of them back down to make Rice Krispies Treats. Strangely, they did not turn out. The marshmallow/butter mixture made the Rice Krispies all soggy. Maybe the HFCS/artificial flavoring of store-bought marshmallows is crucial to the Rice Krispies Treat, after all??

10:12 AM  
Blogger Annemarie said...

Glad you had fun with it. Little duvets...I love it!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun! Maybe you could make some S'Mores? :)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Nikki57 said...

I'm glad you've joined us and are expanding your baking horizons even if hot chocolate season is over :)

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to TWD! Glad you liked them. I'm going to try them in s'mores.

1:20 PM  
Blogger LyB said...

It was a fun process, looks like yours turned out a lot better than mine! Welcome to TWD! )

6:13 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Fluffy duvets! I'd have never tried these either without the TWD group, but I'm so glad I did. Great job!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

I'm going to have to try making homemade vanilla. It seems to be the latest trend!

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so sweet you did it together!
So happy you liked them too!

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little vanilla-y duvets - sounds good to me!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Great job! Since it's hot where you live, maybe you could make rocky road ice cream instead of adding these to hot chocolate.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Yummers!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Zakia / Avenue Z Desserts said...

they actually look perfect to pop into your mouth and let it melt away. love the picture.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They were fun, weren't they? We loved them and are still talking about it!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home