Friday, April 18, 2008

Homemade Vanilla

The last time Lee and I ran out of vanilla extract, we decided to try making our own, rather than buy another bottle. The results were fantastic; the effort minimal. Here's how we did it.

Take one vanilla bean. Slice it open and scrape the seeds into a bottle (we used a 10-oz tonic bottle). Add the bean, too. Fill the bottle most of the way with a high-quality vodka (we used Tito's) and top off with a little dark rum (we used a 1 oz. sampler bottle of Mount Gay). The liquid will still be pretty clear, at that point.

The extract needs two months to work its magic. Every week, give the bottle a little shake; otherwise, just leave it be. At the end of two months, the liquid will be a beautiful amber-brown and you will have on your hands a bottle of very high quality vanilla.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

It seems like everyday I read about making something at home I pretty much thought had to be bought at the store! thanks for this! how fun!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mari said...

I'm going to give this a try, as the quality of the vanilla extract I'm using right now isn't to my liking. I bought a quarter kilo of vanilla beans last year, and I've been saving all the scraped pods for projects just such as these!

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the bottle need to be tinted?? Thanks for this I've just been given a bunch of vanilla pods and by the time I've finished my just brought (very expensive) bottle of vanilla extract my own should be ready!!!

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home