Monday, April 21, 2008

TWD: Carrot Cake!



Success! Well, mostly. This week's TWD challenge, by Amanda of Slow Like Honey, was for Bill's Big Carrot Cake. I'd been intrigued by this one since I first brought home Dorie Greenspan's book. I love a big, beautiful cake and I've never made a carrot cake at home, although it's one of my favorites.

We baked the three-layer cake in 9-inch rounds, as suggested by the recipe. I checked the oven temperature with an oven thermometer to ensure that the heat was right. I left the cakes in the oven, undisturbed, until it was time to check for doneness. And still, the cakes sank. Just a few mm right in the center, but when we stacked them three-high, the sink was more apparent. This also happened with my 1-2-3-4 cake! What gives?

The taste, however, was extraordinary. We omitted the coconut (I can't stand it) and used walnuts and golden raisins as filler alongside the carrots. With the cream cheese frosting, the final product was delicate and moist and very rich. We served it to friends with homemade vanilla ice cream and iced coffee (this is Tucson, after all). More photos here.

I can't wait to make one of these for my mother's birthday. Carrot cake is her favorite, and this may be the best balance of richness/tenderness I've ever tasted in one.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Great looking cake!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made cupcakes and they sank too. On problem I had was they collapsed when I rotated the pans in the oven. I'm not sure if that was the cause or if it just exacerbated the problem. However, I saw a lot of people had the same problem. Maybe the ingredients were just to heavy in relation to the batter. Whatever the cause, it still tasted fantastic!

9:18 AM  
Blogger CB said...

I had sinkage too. ah well. I agree it still tasted fabulous. Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

9:43 AM  
Blogger Jayne said...

Carrot cake, vanilla ice cream and iced coffee - sounds perfect to me. Your cake looks great!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Gretchen Noelle said...

Lovely three layer cake! I had a big of sinkage in the middle also. So sad! You did a great job on this though!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

I love how the icing oozes out of the layers. Delicious looking.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I think it still looks great! I only made 2 layers but one of mine sank a little in the center too. I just put that one on the bottom and it worked out fine.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

Fabulous! Bill's Big Carrot Cake certainly lives up to it's name!

2:45 AM  
Blogger steph- whisk/spoon said...

i think it it looks big and beautiful! frosting always covers up the boo-boos anyway!

3:06 PM  
Blogger mimi said...

your cake still looks amazing! icing makes it all better ;) and you'd actually be surprised at how little you taste the coconut (i wasn't to into adding it, but i did) - it gave off just the hint of sweetness without being too much.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had a problem with it sinking, It still came out very beautiful! Great job :)

5:09 PM  
Blogger LyB said...

I cant tell that your cakes sunk, they look delicious! And that delicious frosting hides any flaws! :)

5:21 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

It looks wonderful, great job!

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! That's one BIG cake! Looks delicious too!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Nicely done! You're so brave to make the 3-layer cake. I opted to make cupcakes instead. I'm sorry that your cakes sank a bit, but I'm sure that the taste more than made up for that!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Mine sunk so badly that there was no way I could do the three layer. Great job!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

i had problems w/my cake sinking too :( i just evened it out by slicing it though

your cake still looks great though and i can't really tell from the pic that it's sinking! ;)

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home